Monday, August 17, 2015

What's on your mind?

Facebook often asks me, "What's on your mind?" The things that are most often on my mind lately I find, are things like lists and lists of things that I need to do, or all the things that I would like to do if I had the money or the time. It's so easy for us to become distracted and unfocused on the things that matter in light of all the tiny things that pile up. I'm learning that I'm the sort of person that likes to have everything lined up and thought out before I make a decision or do a project. I am often afraid that I will forget a detail (or ten), in the many things that seem to be bouncing around in my head. 

How often do thoughts of God dominate my day? Am I often in prayer about the stresses and situations that come up? How often do I take time in my day to focus on the needs of others rather than my own? Does concern for the needs of others (spiritual, physical, emotional, mental) show up in my life in the ways I spend my time, my money, or my energy? These are all important questions to ask ourselves regularly since life in North America can be hectic, stressful, and busy.

I've come to find that when I'm stressed I tend to become more self-focused. It is of utmost importance to keep reminding ourselves of the truth that God has declared through Jesus. It is also important that we continue to think of others before ourselves, if we continue to do this especially in the hard times we will develop endurance.

Matthew 11:28 reads, "Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest."

If your life seems crazy, busy, and spinning out of control and you are not sure how to handle it, my advice would be to be intentional about taking time to retreat with the Lord. Spend time in his word, and let him know the things that are going on in your head and heart. He cares for you and wants to listen and speak to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment